Chapter___ The story of the three persons of the cave and their making good deeds of theirs as the means of riddance:

Suhih Muslim 
Book  036,  Number  6607: 
'Abdullah  b.  'Umar  reported  that  Allah's  Messenger  (may  peace  be  upon  him)  said:  Three  persons set  out  on  a  journey.  They  were  overtaken  by  rain  and  they  had  to  find  protection  in  a  mountain  cave where  at  its  mouth  there  fell  a  rock  of  that  mountain  and  thus  blocked  them  altogether.  One  of  them said  to  the  others:  Look  to  your  good  deeds  that  you  performed  for  the  sake  of  Allah  and  then  supplicate  Allah,  the  Exalted,  that  He  might  rescue  you  (from  this  trouble).  One  of  them  said:  0  Allah,  I  had my  parents  who  were  old  and  my  wife  and  my  small  children  also.  I  tended  the  flock  and  when  I came  back  to  them  in  the  evening,  I  milked  them  (the  sheep,  goats,  cows,  etc.)  and  first  served  that milk  to  my  parents.  One  day  I  was  obliged  to  go  out  to  a  distant  place  in  search  of  fodder  and  I  could not  come  back  before  evening  and  found  them  (the  parents)  asleep.  I  milked  the  animals  as  I  used  to milk  and  brought  milk  to  them  and  stood  by  their  heads  avoiding  to  disturb  them  from  sleep  and  I did  not  deem  it  advisable  to  serve  milk  to  my  children  before  serving  them.  My  children  wept  near my  feet.  I  remained  there  in  that  very  state  and  my  parents  too  until  it  was  morning.  And  (0  Allah)  if Thou  art  aware  that  I  did  this  in  order  to  seek  Thine  pleasure,  grant  us  riddance  from  this  trouble. (The  rock  slipped  a  bit)  that  they  could  see  the  sky.  The  second  one  said:  0  Allah,  I  had  a  female  cousin  whom  I  loved  more  than  the  men  love  the  women.  I  wanted  to  have  sexual  intercourse  with  her; she  refused  but  on  the  condition  of  getting  one  hundred  dinirs.  It  was  with  very  great  difficulty  that  I could  collect  one  hundred  dinirs  and  then  paid  them  to  her  and  when  I  was  going  to  have  a  sexual intercourse  with  her,  that  she  said:  Servant  of  Allah,  fear  Allah  and  do  not  break  the  seal  (of  chastity) but  by  lawful  means.  I  got  up.  0  Allah,  if  Thou  art  aware  that  I  did  this  in  order  to  seek  Thine  pleasure,  rid  us  from  this  trouble.  The  situation  was  somewhat  eased  for  them.  The  third  one  said:  Allah,  I employed  a  workman  for  a  measure  of  rice.  After  he  had  finished  his  work  I  gave  him  his  dues  (in the  form  of)  a  measure  of  rice,  but  he  did  not  accept  them.  I  used  these  rice  as  seeds,  and  that  gave  a bumper  crop  and  I  became  rich  enough  to  have  cows  and  flocks  (in  my  possession).  He  came  to  me and  said:  Fear  Allah,  and  commit  no  crueltv  upon  me  in  regard  to  my  dues.  I  said  to  him:  Takeaway this  flock  of  cows  and  sheep.  He  said:  Fear  Allah  and  do  not  make  a  fun  of  me.  I  said:  I  am  not  making  a  fun  of  you.  You  take  the  cows  and  the  flocks.  So  he  took  them.  0  Allah,  if  Thou  art  aware  that  I did  it  for  Thine  pleasure,  case  the  situation  for  us.  And  Allah  relieved  them  from  the  rest  of  the  trouble. 

Comments